Becoming a Special Constable is a big commitment, but is
ultimately very rewarding.
Sussex Police support those who choose to become Special
Constables in what can be an interesting and challenging way to
give some time to your local community.
As volunteer Police Officers, Special Constables have full
police powers, uniforms and equipment and work alongside Police
Officers and PCSOs to help protect and serve the people of
Volunteers for the Special Constabulary come from all walks of
life. You may be at home, bringing up a family, or employed in any
one of a wide variety of jobs. The diversity of the Special
Constabulary helps the police service to represent the communities
Click the window below to watch a video about becoming a Special
Constable in Sussex.
- Must be aged 18 years or over
- Must have lived in the UK for three continuous years
immediately prior to application
- Cannot be a member of the British National Party (BNP)
- Must not have tattoos which could cause offence
- Motoring offences
- Must not have more than 6 penalty points on their driving
licence (a driving licence is not required)
- Two or more motoring offences within the three years prior to
the application date will result in rejection.
What we offer
- A place on the Sussex Police Pre-Join Course which is aligned
to the Certificate in Knowledge of Policing. This part-time course
is run over 10 weeks
- Training and development opportunities
- Access to our Employee Assistance Programme which offers
support on a range of health, well-being and lifestyle issues
- Support and advice from our Occupational Health service as well
as a range of staff associations and the Sussex Police Charitable
- Access to subsidised gym, dependent on your location.
For further information around our Special Constable recruitment
process download the briefing pack.
If you are interested in applying, please see our Current
Vacancies and search for 'Special Constable' in the keyword
search, this will show you any current open adverts. If there is
not a current advert then please register for a vacancy
We will be opening for applications on several occasions over the
year and will publish key dates for the process in the
If you are a Special Constable with another force and interested in
transferring then please email: