Live feeds

Hove man sentenced to nine years for sex offences against young boy - 22/05/2015 15:27:48

.@RayChubsyWeale Well-trained people working with local teams rather than at remote offices. Increased liaison with other interested people. 22/05/2015 13:21:13

.@Sussexpcc External communications and engagement programme launched in March. Feedback encouraged #SusPolScrutiny 22/05/2015 13:11:12

.@Sussexpcc @KatyBourne @CCGilesYork Co-locating key people embedded in our divisions. Increased stakeholder awareness. Thorough training. 22/05/2015 12:59:49

#Saltdean man is first person in Sussex convicted under new drug-driving law that came into force in March 22/05/2015 12:59:17

.@Sussexpcc Restorative justice is not instead of the judicial process. Looking to see where victims can benefit from RJ beyond judicial. 22/05/2015 12:55:59

Eastbourne people being asked for information about tragic death of Emma Crowhurst - 22/05/2015 12:44:04

@Sussexpcc @ukhomeoffice reducing supply of super strength alcohol can significantly reduce alcohol related incidents among street drinkers 22/05/2015 12:38:31

@DonnaLouiseC12 Sorry @OpCrackdown 22/05/2015 11:47:27

@DonnaLouiseC12 Please report this to us via @op 22/05/2015 11:44:34

Read more >
Tuesday May 26

Police Registration For Foreign Nationals

Police registration for foreign nationals who reside in Sussex

You will be required to register if you are a person aged 16 years or over who is: (i) a national or citizen of a country or territory listed below (ii) a stateless person or (iii) a person holding a non-national travel document

You will only be required to register if it states on your visa:

"Police Registration within 7 days of arrival" OR

"Register at once with the police"


  • Afghanistan
  • Algeria
  • Argentina
  • Armenia
  • Azerbaijan
  • Bahrain
  • Belarus
  • Bolivia
  • Brazil
  • China
  • Colombia
  • Cuba
  • Egypt
  • Georgia
  • Iran
  • Iraq
  • Israel
  • Jordan
  • Kazakhstan
  • Kirgizstan
  • Kuwait
  • Lebanon
  • Libya
  • Moldova
  • Morocco
  • North Korea
  • Oman
  • Peru
  • Qatar
  • Russia
  • Saudi Arabia
  • Sudan
  • Syria
  • Tajikistan
  • Tunisia
  • Turkey
  • Turkmenistan
  • United Arab Emirates
  • Ukraine
  • Palestine
  • Uzbekistan
  • Yemen


Please contact the Nationality Unit on 01273 404011 or email us at as soon as possible to arrange an appointment.



For exemptions please go to the UKBA website and select Police Registration.


Frequently asked questions:


How can I contact the Sussex Police Nationality Unit?


01273 404011 (excluding UK National Holidays)

8:00am - 4:00pm Monday to Thursday

8:00am - 2:00pm Friday


Postal Address:

Nationality Unit
Sussex Police Headquarters
Church Lane
East Sussex

We do not see members of the public at this office. You will need to make an appointment to attend a planned registration session.


Where can I register?

The Nationality Unit hold regular registration sessions at police stations across Sussex, please see the list below to find your nearest station.

Brighton Police Station - John Street, Brighton, BN2 0LA

Crawley Police Station - Northgate Avenue, Crawley, RH10 8BF

Eastbourne Borough Council - 1 Grove Road, Eastbourne, BN21 4TW

Hove Town Hall - Norton Road Hove, BN3 4AH

Worthing Police Station - Chatsworth Road, Worthing, BN11 1LY


We also visit some language schools and universities to register students. Please contact The Nationality Unit to book an appointment.


What do I need to bring with me to register with the police for the first time?

  • Your passport.
  • Two recent passport size photographs.
  • Registration fee of £34.00 (cash only).
  • If you are a student, please bring your CAS letter or letter from your school or college with details of your studies.
  • If you are employed in the United Kingdom you must bring details of your employment.
  • If you are self employed please provide the documents to prove this.


What happens at the appointment?

You will be required to state/provide your:-

  • Full name
  • Gender
  • Marital status
  • Date and country of birth
  • Nationality
  • Address in the UK
  • Last residence outside the UK
  • Date and place of arrival in the UK
  • Passport details
  • Place of study (if applicable)
  • Employment details (if applicable)
  • Duration of leave and any conditions

Each appointment lasts approximately 15 minutes and your documents will be returned to you at the time of registration along with your Police Registration Certificate.


If I change any of the details that are on my registration certificate, do I have to report these changes to the police?

The Rules of the Police Registration Scheme require you to report changes as follows:

  • New address
  • Any new landing conditions
  • Extensions to your visa / Residence Permit card issued by UKBA
  • New passport
  • New study information or change to university/college
  • New employment
  • Change of marital status
  • Exemption from Police Registration
  • Change of Nationality

Any changes should be reported within 7 days.

You can do this by sending the information to us by post. We would advise sending your documents by recorded or special delivery. Sussex Police will not be held liable for anything lost in the post. If you would like your documents returned the same way please provide a pre-paid recorded or special delivery envelope for us to return your documents.

In all cases you will need to send in your Police Registration Certificate.

For a change of address we will also need to see proof , for example a utility bill, bank statement or tenancy agreement.

For a new visa you will need to send in your passport and Residence Permit card if you have been issued with one.

There is no fee to pay when you notify any of the above changes to Sussex Police.


When will my registration certificate expire?

Your registration certificate will expire if you are out of the United Kingdom for a continuous period of more than 1 year.


If I move to an address outside Sussex what should I do?

You must report to the local police within 7 days. They will inform you of the procedure in their area. There will be no charge and you can continue to use the same certificate.


Will there be any penalties if I do not report any changes to my registration?

Failure to register with the police is an offence under Section 26(1) (f) of the Immigration Act 1971 and, where a person fails to register, the police can consider prosecution. You can be liable to a fine of up to £5,000, six months imprisonment, or both. Requests for further leave to remain may not be accepted if you do not report relevant changes to the police.


If I am leaving the United Kingdom temporarily should I return my registration certificate?

No, if you are leaving the UK for a short stay you should keep your certificate with you.


What should I do if my Police Registration Certificate is stolen, lost or damaged?

In all cases you must contact the Nationality Unit to arrange an appointment to get a new certificate. You will be required to pay £34 for a replacement.

If it is stolen you must report it to your local police station.


I sent in my documents some time ago and haven't heard anything what should I do?

If you have sent in your documents by special or recorded delivery, you can go on to the Royal Mail Track and Trace website. This will confirm whether it has been received at our office. If it has, please ring us on our office number and we will then be able to tell you whether the documents have been processed by us and ,if so, the date they were returned to you.

Please state clearly the address that you would like your documents to be returned to.


Why do I have to register?

Please visit the UKBA website where you will find instructions for the Police Registration Scheme.