If you have explosives you must obtain an explosives license. There are two types of certificate:

  • Acquire only’ certificate permits a person or company to obtain explosives that are to be used immediately, and not kept overnight
  • Acquire and keep’ certificate allows a person or company to obtain explosives and keep them in an approved storage place

Application forms

Storage licence

Responsibility for licensing some stores has moved from Trading Standards Department to the Police.

The Application for a Storage Licence under the Explosives Regulations 2014 form should be used by RFDs applying to store explosives.

Re-enactment events

This guidance is issued to assist organisers of re-enactment events where explosives are used to ensure that the event is conducted safely and legally. Public safety is paramount.