Report online or call us on 101. Always call 999 in an emergency.

Make a complaint against a Police Officer

How will my complaint be dealt with?

Your initial complaint will be recorded by the Professional Standards Department (PSD). Once this has been noted as being about the conduct of a police officer, then it will be dealt with in one of the following ways:

Local Resolution
This process is fully supported by the Independent Office for Police Conduct and means that a local supervisor will be able to resolve your complaint directly with you and take any appropriate action to put things right. This should encompass your expectations and what proportionate action can or cannot be taken to resolve your complaint.

It will not result in formal proceedings being taken against a police officer or police staff member, but is designed to solve, explain and settle your complaint.

Formal Investigation
Where there is potential that your complaint will result in misconduct/criminal proceedings against the officers involved, an investigation will be carried out by the Professional Standards Department.

Right of Appeal
If you're unhappy with the way that we have dealt with your complaint then you will have a right of appeal as follows:

To make a complaint against a Police Officer, please complete the form below.

For other queries and concerns, including a complaint against a member of Police Staff, contact Customer Relations here.

Don't forget, if you want to give us general feedback, you can do this via Your Voice Counts.