Benefits of working for us
What you can expect from us as an employer and what we expect of you
We aspire to be a healthy and professional workplace where we deliver the best policing service to our communities. So that working here feels like a place where:
- We work effectively with each other and our key partners, and hold ourselves and others to account delivering a high level of policing service;
- We can be honest with colleagues, irrespective of their rank or role;
- We enjoy coming to work and are committed to and take pride in doing our best;
- We are the best we can be.
What else you might like to know about us
- At Sussex Police we value difference. We recognise that diverse teams produce better results, and we believe in giving everybody the opportunity to maximise their potential. The Peelian Principle of reflecting the communities we serve is about the importance of a diverse workforce; helping us to provide the best possible service to all people in our communities, keeping them safe.
- Sussex police has been in the top 100 for 5 years out of 7 in the Stonewall employers ranking for diversity, recently being ranked as 22nd and are members of Stonewall’s Diversity Champions Programme. The index assesses organisational equality practices, how organisations engage with their LGBT staff and customers and looks for good practice, as well as considering community engagement.
- We know that you have a life outside of work and we are invested in supporting people who work here balance personal commitments with work, as part of support for overall well-being and helping people be the best that they can be.
- We are good at recognising people’s efforts and remembering, and taking the time, to say thank you.
- We are a fast moving and dynamic force able to offer opportunities to move roles and progress. As a member of Sussex Police you’ll have the opportunity to specialise and develop your career.
- We offer a competitive benefits package, including more traditional benefits, including, supported development, a progressive approach to flexible working (including offering flexi-time), a highly competitive pension scheme and a competitive flexible benefits (including salary sacrifice schemes, discounts including for a healthcare scheme, savings and cash back rewards), as well more unique benefits, such as, as opportunities to join various sports clubs which aim to promote health, friendship and fun.
- Paid annual leave entitlement (minimum 24 days rising to 29 days after 5 years' service) plus paid public holiday leave
- Generous Local Government Pension Scheme
- Generous sick pay entitlement
- Flexible Working arrangements (to be agreed with line manager in support of organisational need)
- Enhanced Maternity and Paternity pay
- Career Break - Staff can apply for a career break (after 2 years' service)
- Employee Assistance Programme for advice and counselling
- Targeted physiotherapy treatment
- Financial assistance with eye tests and glasses (role-dependent)
- Cycle to work - obtain a new bike to travel to work through your salary saving tax and national insurance
- Lift-share scheme
- Opportunities to join various sports clubs
- Discount scheme - access to discounts, savings and cash back rewards, including gym memberships
- EE Perk discount scheme giving you, your friends and family 20% off a monthly line rental on a phone, tablet, SIM-only or mobile broadband plan.
- Discounted train travel (via the EasiNetwork)
- Sussex Police Race Equality Network
- Evolve (Gender Equality Network)
- Enable (Disability and Carers Association)
- Sussex Police LGBT Network
- Sussex Police Interfaith Forum
- Sussex Police Christian Fellowship
- Police Federation