Community Safety Accreditation Scheme (CSAS)
The Community Safety Accreditation Scheme (CSAS) allows organisations and their employees working in community safety to be given targeted police powers by the Chief Constable. These powers can help them become more effective in their role and contribute to community safety and security, as well as combat crime and disorder, public nuisance and anti-social behaviour.
The CSAS also allows for greater partnership working between the police and local organisations, as well as raising the priority of community safety.
About the scheme
To qualify for the CSAS, public and private sector companies and organisations must pass a strict application process, as detailed by the Home Office and the Association of Chief Police Officers (ACPO). If successful their employees are then vetted and trained to the prescribed standard. These people remain employed by their organisation, not by Sussex Police, and are not directly tasked or coordinated by Sussex Police.
Who can apply to join the scheme?
The scheme is aimed at organisations in both the public and private sectors who contribute to making our communities safer. This could include Local Authority neighbourhood and street wardens, housing associations, countryside wardens, private sector security services and sports event stewards.
What are the benefits of CSAS?
- Recognition of the quality of the accredited organisation.
- Recognition of the aims of the accredited organisation and its involvement in terms of increasing community safety and reducing crime, disorder and anti-social behaviour.
- Conferment of additional powers.
- Closer working relationship with the police through the 'extended police family' e.g. enhanced intelligence sharing.
- Public reassurance as to the professionalism of those in community safety roles.
Organisations currently taking part in the scheme include:
- Horsham District Council - (Neighbourhood wardens)
- Crawley Borough Council - (Neighbourhood wardens)
- University of Brighton - (Security Officers)
- Beacon Facilities Management Ltd (Traffic Marshals/'street safe' wardens at University of Sussex)
- SWL Security Services (Business/Community Wardens)
How to apply
If you are interested in applying under the CSAS, or for more details, contact the CSAS Manager, Simone French, on 101 ext 540108 or email@example.com