Teenagers sentenced over stabbing in Worthing town centre
Main article content
Two teenagers have been sentenced over their roles in a stabbing in Worthing town centre.
The boys, who cannot be named for legal reasons, were arrested following the incident in Liverpool Road at 5.30pm on February 13 this year.
A 17-year-old boy sustained life-threatening injuries during the incident, but has since been making a steady recovery.
At Lewes Crown Court on October 6, a 15-year-old boy admitted wounding with intent, affray, and possession of a bladed article.
A 16-year-old boy admitted wounding without intent, affray, and possession of a bladed article, as well as a separate count of wounding without intent, relating to separate incident at Shoreham train station in 2021.
Adur and Worthing District Commander Chief Inspector Sarah Leadbeatter praised police officers, emergency services and members of the public who provided life-saving first aid to the victim.
The court was told how the victim, who was not known to the defendants, had been mistaken for someone else in a group he was with by the two boys who approached him.
He was stabbed and was taken to hospital in Brighton in a life-threatening condition.
The boy underwent surgery and was in hospital for more than a month.
The court was also told how the two offenders had switched off their phones at the time of the assault, which took place inside a McDonald’s restaurant.
The 15-year-old boy who admitted wounding with intent was sentenced to a Youth Rehabilitation Requirement Order for two years, and was issued with a curfew for six months.
The order includes an exclusion order for Worthing town centre, and a supervision requirement to be in contact with the relevant youth offender team twice a week for the next two years.
Meanwhile the 16-year-old boy who admitted two counts of wounding without intent was sentenced to 19 months of detention in a young offenders institution, which includes time served on remand.*
Speaking after the case, Chief Inspector Sarah Leadbeatter said: “This was a really distressing incident that occurred within a busy fast food restaurant in the middle of Worthing Town centre and I don’t underestimate the impact it would have had on those who saw the incident unfold.
“I would like to thank the members of public who came forward and supported my officers and staff in providing life-saving first aid to the victim.
“I also want to thank those people who came forward with information to ensure that those involved in this incident were swiftly arrested.
“These convictions demonstrate our continued determination to tackle knife crime and to ensure that dangerous offenders are taken off our streets.
“Both boys involved have been sentenced at court, with one serving a period of detention, and the other boy who lives outside the area being the subject of an exclusion order to prevent him coming to Worthing.
“Sussex Police continue to work in close partnership with partner agencies as we continue to respond to residents’ concerns about anti-social behaviour from small groups of young people in and around Worthing.
“However, these issues cannot be solved by police alone, and require a combined partnership but also community approach.
"We work closely with agencies including the British Transport Police, youth justice teams, and with local authorities to tackle these issues.
“I would encourage anyone with concerns or information regarding knife crime to report online or via 101. In an emergency always dial 999.
“If you don’t want to speak to police then contact either Crimestoppers, on 0800 555 111 or Fearless.”