Gypsies and Travellers
"As the gypsy and traveller equality champion for Sussex Police I am determined that the community is treated the same as any other community that we serve, so that the service we provide is accessible, responsive and visible and treats the gypsy and traveller community with fairness, respect and dignity. I will also be working hard to improve the trust and confidence that this community has with us."
- Superintendent Rosie Ross, Equality Champion for Gypsy and Traveller Equality work in Sussex Police
- To ensure that police activity in respect of Gypsy and Traveller communities is non-discriminatory and effective
- To provide support to Gypsy and Traveller individuals and communities in accessing policing services, and improve trust and confidence to increase reporting of hate crime
- To become an employer of choice for the BME community and ensure there is equality in support, and career development opportunities for BME staff and officers
- To demonstrate the force's commitment to providing visible leadership on Race Equality issues
Our work in this area
As a public service
Priority areas in service delivery for Gypsy and Traveller Equality include increasing awareness of hate crime reporting methods, and gaining insight on public experiences is central to developing our approach.
A key part of this work involves engaging with people in our communities and regular consultation with our external *Gypsy and Traveller Advisory Group (GTAG). The GTAG has been operating for a number of years and is a reference group to promote equality and take action on issues relating to gypsy travellers. The group are made up of representatives from gypsy traveller communities and a variety of representative groups.
Quarterly meetings are held which include guest speakers and a review of unauthorised encampment activity.
The purpose of this group is to assist Sussex Police in making sure its policies and procedures take into account the needs of gypsy travellers and that they are treated equally to any other community whilst simultaneously raising awareness of gypsy travellers issues throughout the Force and to remove any outdated myths and prejudices.
*If you would like to help Sussex police improve its service by becoming a member of the Gypsy and Traveller Advisory Group email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Gypsy and Traveller Liaison Officers (GTLO)
The role of the GTLO has been established throughout Sussex. Similar to other liaison officer roles, they receive specialist inputs to raise their knowledge and understanding, and create awareness in Gypsy and Traveller issues. GTLOs act as a point of contact for Gypsy and Traveller communities, building relations to increase trust, confidence and encourage reporting of crime.
As an employer
If you work at Sussex Police and would like to become involved in our work in this area, please email: email@example.com
Brighton & Hove
- PCSO Jacqui Cutter Jacqui.Cutter@sussex.pnn.police.uk
- A/ Insp. Karen Osborn Karen.Osborn@sussex.pnn.police.uk
- Suchitra Chatterjee Suchitra.Chaterjee@sussex.pnn.police.uk
East Sussex - Lewes
- Sgt Amy Mason Amy.Mason@sussex.pnn.police.uk
- PCSO Alan Ash Alan.Ash@sussex.pnn.police.uk
- PCSO Simon Turvey Jake.Odonovan@sussex.pnn.police.uk
East Sussex - Eastbourne
- PC Rachel Bourne Rachel.Bourne@sussex.pnn.police.uk
East Sussex - Hastings and Rother
- PC Matt West Matthew.West@sussex.pnn.police.uk
West Sussex - Chichester
- PC Andrew Rosier Andrew.Rosier@sussex.pnn.police.uk
- PCSO Colin Booker Colin.Booker@sussex.pnn.police.uk
West Sussex - Adur and Worthing
- Insp Allan Lowe Allan.Lowe@sussex.pnn.police.uk
- PC Caroline Bailey Caroline.Bailey@sussex.pnn.police.uk
- PC Olivia Crane Olivia.Crane@sussex.pnn.police.uk
- PCSO Stewart Metcalfe Stewart.Metcalfe@sussex.pnn.police.uk
West Sussex - Horsham
- PCSO Damian Cecil Damian.Cecil@sussex.pnn.police.uk
- PCSO Jake O’Donovan Jake.Odonovan@sussex.pnn.police.uk
West Sussex - Arun
- Sgt Ian Cheesman Ian.Cheesman@sussex.pnn.police.uk
- PC Steven Self Steven.Self@sussex.pnn.police.uk
- PC David Banham-Brown David.firstname.lastname@example.org
West Sussex - Mid Sussex
- PCSO Joel Havicon Joel.Havicon@sussex.pnn.police.uk