"I am delighted to be the LGBT Champion for Sussex Police. Having started my policing career in London, I have been part of Sussex Police since 1997. Over my nearly 30 years as an officer, I have seen a real and positive change in the way the police service works with members of LGBT communities and Sussex Police has been at the forefront of this. I am keen to build on the progress that has been made but understand there is always more that can be done. I am immensely proud to be LGBT Champion and will I do everything I can to support LGBT communities across Sussex."
- Chief Superintendent Steve Boniface, Equality Champion for Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender (LGBT) Equality work in Sussex Police, who works alongside Equality Advocates T/Chief Inspector Mark Evans, and Sergeant Peter Allan who is leads on Trans equality.
- To become an employer of choice for the LGBT community and ensure there is equality in support, and career development opportunities for LGBT staff and officers
- To create an organisational culture that values the importance of LGBT staff and officers to feel supported and encouraged to be themselves in the workplace
- To provide support to LGBT individuals and communities in accessing policing services, and improving trust and confidence to report hate crimes and incidents
- To demonstrate the force's commitment to providing visible leadership on LGBT equality issues and providing equitable policing services to LGBT individuals and communities
Our work in this area
As a public service
Priority areas in service delivery for LGBT Equality include tackling hate crime and eliminating barriers to reporting. Gaining insight on public experiences is central to developing our approach.
A key part of this work involves engaging with people in our communities and regular consultation with both our LGBT External Reference Group (ERG) and our Trans ERG. The ERGs have helped to inform a range of policing activities; including our Hate Crime Action Plan, delivery of LGBT awareness days, and scrutiny around the delivery of specific operations and communications.
If you would like to help Sussex Police improve its service by becoming a member of the either the LGBT or the Trans External Reference Group email us at email@example.com
LGBT Liaison Officers (LGBT LO)
LGBT LOs are established across the force. Similar to other liaison officer roles, they receive specialist inputs to raise their knowledge and understanding, and create awareness in LGB and T issues. LGBT LOs will act as a point of contact for LGBT communities and individuals, to build relations to increase trust, confidence and encourage reporting of crime. You can find a list of our LGBT LOs at the foot of this page.
As an employer
The diversity staff support group for Sussex Police Officers and Staff is the LGBT Network. This is co-chaired by Inspector Mark Evans and Sergeant Richard Hobbs. The Network provides support for LGBT employees in the workplace and is also there to identify organisational challenges and opportunities for LGBT staff and officers. The Network also acts as a critical friend to the organisation by scrutinising its policies and processes which may impact on LGBT communities and individuals.
Sussex Police launched their Proud Allies employee network in Summer 2014 with the purpose of supporting LGBT equality in the workplace to visibly support officers and staff who may still feel marginalised or unable to be themselves because of their sexual orientation or gender identity.
If you work at Sussex Police and would like to become a member of the LGBT Network, or would like more information about Proud Allies, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Brighton & Hove
- Kevin Stephenson email@example.com
- Sgt Karen Osborn firstname.lastname@example.org
- Alex Hyatt email@example.com
- Sarah Sebastian firstname.lastname@example.org
East Sussex - Eastbourne
- PC Vicky Bishop email@example.com
- PC Giancarlo Leone firstname.lastname@example.org
- Matt West email@example.com
East Sussex - Hastings & Rother
- PCSO Neil Holden firstname.lastname@example.org
East Sussex - Lewes Headquarters
- Donna Sargent email@example.com
- Ian Mager-Playford firstname.lastname@example.org
West Sussex - Crawley
- PC Jo-Ann Millard email@example.com
- Danielle Sanchez firstname.lastname@example.org
West Sussex - Adur & Worthing
- PCSO Jamie Sanderson Jamie.Sanderson@sussex.pnn.police.uk
- Sgt Peter Allan email@example.com
- PC Louise Baileff firstname.lastname@example.org
West Sussex - Mid-Sussex
- Louise Creasey email@example.com
- PCSO Shelley Brown firstname.lastname@example.org