Reporting wrongdoing like fraud, bribery or corruption at work is known as whistleblowing.

Whistleblowers are protected by law - you should not be treated unfairly or lose your job just because you have 'blown the whistle'.

UK Government guide to whistleblowing for employees

How to blow the whistle on fraud, bribery and corruption

You can raise your concern with your employer. If you don't want to do that, you can tell someone within the body or office that covers your sector or issue. These are known as 'prescribed people and bodies'.

For example you could tell the NHS Counter Fraud Authority about fraud, bribery or corruption in the health service in England and Wales.

List of prescribed people and bodies for whistleblowers

You can also tell the:

  • Serious Fraud Office about large-scale, complex cases that harm the public, the reputation of the UK as an international financial centre, or the economy of the UK
  • National Crime Agency about a person or company in the UK paying bribes overseas to foreign government officials

Help and support

The charity Protect supports whistleblowers.

They offer free, confidential whistleblowing advice on 020 3117 2520.

Protect website