Local Policing Model
Our Local Policing Model
We are taking a smarter approach to the way we prevent, detect and tackle crime and local problems in your area.
Since 2015 we have embarked on a transformational change programme. We have looked at every element of our local policing service, determining how we can manage more demand with fewer people and meet the new and emerging threats facing our communities.
Our new local policing model holds on to areas of policing which are much valued and has transformed others to address the changing nature of crime and evolution of new crime types and threats - for example Child Sexual Exploitation (CSE) and terrorism.
We have now launched our new Local Policing Model which sees teams working closely together to provide a flexible and resilient service within your community:
- are accessible.
- aim to prevent crime and anti-social behaviour by working with partners and targeting their patrols in areas where they can make a difference.
- include PCSOs with enhanced skills, police officers and staff, including specialists working with young people in schools and colleges.
- identify the best ways to solve problems, tackle repeat issues and reduce crime.
- cover every neighbourhood in Sussex and can be contacted directly.
- are there when needed in an emergency, available 24/7.
- Work proactively in vulnerable areas.
- also attend non-emergency calls where a policing presence is needed.
- investigate professionally and effectively.
- proactively pursue and manage offenders, using the latest technology and digital evidence techniques to catch criminals.
- support communities and victims, with each crime type investigated and each case considered individually according to the threat and harm caused.
- through the Investigation and Resolution Centre resolve less serious incidents, which do not require a face to face visit, over the phone.
Local policing is at the heart of everything we do and is the foundation for keeping you, your families and the wider community safe
You can read Transformation 2025 - our vision for policing to find out more.